LADWP is saddened to report that two individuals were electrocuted while coming in contact with downed wires.
On January 25, 2021, at approximately 3:10 a.m., the Los Angeles Department of Water and Power electric trouble team was notified by the LA Fire Department that two individuals had been electrocuted at the site of a downed wire located in the 14700 block of Tupper St. in Panorama City.
LADWP crews responded to the scene and de-energized the conductor after being notified by LAFD of the incident.
These two tragic deaths are a sobering reminder that live electrical wires can and will often result in death. Don’t get near or touch a downed power line or wire. If you see a downed line, stay away and immediately call 9-1-1. Contacting electric equipment is extremely dangerous. Always assume that the power is on. Electrical equipment and wires often carry thousands of volts of electricity and are never safe to handle by anyone other than a qualified and trained electrical worker.
Anyone coming across a victim lying near, or in contact with, downed wires or electrical equipment should keep a safe distance and not attempt to touch the victim. The current that incapacitates a victim can also harm would-be rescuers. Instead, call emergency services immediately.
LADWP is working with law enforcement in their investigation of this incident.