Angelenos save six billion gallons of water from June to September
A press event with Los Angeles Mayor Eric Garcetti, Councilmember Mitch O’Farrell (13th District), and executives of the Los Angeles Department of Water Power in the Nature Gardens at the Natural History Museum of Los Angeles County (NHM) to highlight total summer savings achieved by L.A. residents from June to September. In addition, they will promote and reiterate the importance of creating drought-tolerant landscapes, tree planting and care, and other water saving measures.
Throughout the summer, LADWP customers have set record levels of water conservation month after month since June. Customers have been taking advantage of water conservation rebates and programs in order to reduce water use, while also complying with the city’s water conservation ordinance. Compared to June-September 2021, Angelenos have saved nearly six billion gallons of water during the same time period this year.
The press event will be followed by a garden tour led by Daniel Feldman, NHM’s Senior Manager of Horticulture, and LADWP Commissioner Mia Lehrer, who was also the lead designer for the Nature Gardens when it opened in 2013.
Formerly the site of a parking lot, NHM’s 3.5-acre outdoor gardens serve as a model for Angelenos interested in reducing their water use at home. The lush biodiverse greenspace is filled with California native plants designed to attract birds, bees, butterflies, lizards, squirrels and more. Customers can visit the Museum to gain inspiration for thriving landscapes, plants and trees fitting for the California climate.
Monday, November 7, 2022
Rain or Shine
Natural History Museum of Los Angeles County
900 W Exposition Blvd, Los Angeles, CA 90007
Park at https://goo.gl/maps/EHaMENEfZJ3eaFPT9
(Free parking for credentialed media)
- Mayor Eric Garcetti
- Councilmember Mitch O’Farrell, 13th District
- Dr. Lori Bettison-Varga, President and Director of the Natural History Museums of Los Angeles County
- Commissioner Mia Lehrer, Board of Water and Power Commissioners
- Martin L. Adams, LADWP General Manager and Chief Engineer
- Board President Cynthia McClain-Hill, Board of Water and Power Commissioners
- Commissioner Nicole Neeman Brady, Board of Water and Power Commissioners
- Rachel Malarich, City Forester
- Rachel O’Leary, Executive Director – City Plants
- The Nature Gardens at NHM, displaying various plants appropriate for the California climate.
- Various drought-resistant plants with examples of what a drought-tolerant garden can look like.
- A walking tour of the Nature Gardens.
MEDIA CONTACT INFO:
Bowen Xie: firstname.lastname@example.org / (213) 643-8763
Michelle Figueroa: email@example.com / (213) 840-2004
Sally Marquez: firstname.lastname@example.org / (213) 763-3580