The Los Angeles Department of Water and Power (LADWP) Co-Hosts a Winter Solstice Sunrise Ceremony with the Fernandeño Tataviam Band of Mission Indians (FTBMI) in celebration of the winter season. This family-friendly event held at the City of Los Angeles’ only nature preserve will feature ceremonial songs and blessings from FTBMI and Chumash Elders. Activities include an acorn demonstration and oak tree life cycle walk immediately following the gathering, and self-guided tours throughout the morning. LADWP will also have an informational booth set-up where attendees can stop by to learn more about how they can conserve water and receive free giveaways.
Wednesday, December 21, 2022
7AM – 10AM
7:00 AM Ceremony & Speaking Program
8:30 AM Acorn Gathering Demonstration
9:00 AM Stroll Through the Oaks with Johnny Acorn
Chatsworth Nature Preserve
*Entrance at Valley Circle Boulevard (from Plummer Street), Chatsworth, CA 91311.
Online map available at: bit.ly/2naHjvT
– City of Los Angeles Mayor Karen Bass
– City of Los Angeles Councilmember John Lee, 12th District
– County of Los Angeles Supervisor Linsey Horvath, 3rd District
– Fernandeño Tataviam Band of Mission Indians Tribal President, Rudy Ortega Jr.
– LADWP Senior Assistant General Manager – Water System, Anselmo Collins
– Tribal Welcoming Blessing in Fernandeño Tataviam and Chumash
– Attendees participating in a Prayer Circle
– Presentation of Ceremonial Honorary Blanket to Tribal President Rudy Ortega Jr.
– Presentation of Ceremonial Welcome Blankets to Mayor Karen Bass
– Informational Booths
NOTES: Closed-toe, comfortable shoes are recommended.