LOS ANGELES (September 12, 2017) – The Los Angeles Department of Water and Power (LADWP) along with partners will be hosting LA’s local National Drive Electric Week Event for one day only. The event is part of a week-long nationwide celebration to heighten awareness of today’s availability of electric cars and to highlight their benefits, such as helping the environment, lowering fuel costs, reducing dependence on petroleum and helping integrate renewable energy into the grid.
Automakers, current EV owners, utilities, charging station and solar power providers, and nonprofit organizations. Speaker program from noon to 12:30 p.m. (speakers subject to change):
- Plug In America Executive Director Joel Levin
- Los Angeles County Supervisor Sheila Kuehl
- City of Los Angeles Chief Sustainability Officer Lauren Faber O’Connor
- LADWP Director of Power Engineering Marvin Moon
- Lead sponsor: Los Angeles Department of Water and Power
- National presenters: Plug In America, Sierra Club and Electric Auto Association
- Additional Los Angeles event sponsors: Southern California Edison, Greenlots, Audi, Center for Sustainable Energy, Ford (Southern California Ford Dealers), Chrysler, BMW i., Chevrolet and Volkswagen
- Local supporters: The Office of Los Angeles Mayor Eric Garcetti, BlueLA and Los Angeles Department of Transportation
Ride-n-drives in the latest electric vehicle (EV) models, one of the first public appearances of the second-generation Nissan LEAF, and more than a dozen exhibitors at the free Los Angeles National Drive Electric Week (NDEW) event (www.ndewla.org).
- Saturday, September 16, 10 a.m. to 3 p.m.
- Los Angeles State Historic Park
1245 N. Spring St., Los Angeles
General parking in the mulch parking lots in front of the park. Media check in at main entrance (look for entryway marked by balloons).
- Test drives (valid driver’s license required) or rides in an array of EVs (subject to change):
BMW i3, BMW X5 xDrive40e iPerformance and BMW 530e xDrive iPerformance; Chevrolet Bolt and Chevrolet Volt; Chrysler Pacifica Hybrid; Ford 2017 Fusion Energi, Ford 2017 CMAX Energi and Ford 2017 Focus Electric; VW 2017 e-Golf; Bluecar Phase 3 model (from BlueLA); Tesla Model S and Model X (ride-alongs)
- One of the first public appearances of the next-generation Nissan LEAF, 10 days after its global reveal
- Scheduled displays of Audi’s 2017 A3 e-tron, BMW’s i8 and LADWP electric and plug-in hybrid electric fleet vehicles
- An EV Tailgate Community featuring dozens of EV owners who already have made the switch, with their vehicles scheduled to include the FIAT 500e, Hyundai Ioniq Electric, KIA Soul EV, smart fortwo electric drive and many others
- Information on LADWP’s “Charge Up L.A.” home and workplace charging rebate program; the BlueLA all-electric car sharing service coming soon to central L.A.; charging station options; EV federal and state incentives; and solar power
- Kids’ activities, food trucks, vendors and more
For more information on NDEW, L.A., visit www.ndewla.org.
# # #