Accessible Emergency Information–How to Weather a Storm
LADWP has one of the best reliability records in the nation. Even so, during storm conditions, heavy rains can flood underground electrical vaults and strong winds can blow debris or tree limbs into power lines resulting in power outages. It is important to always be prepared.
LADWP offers the following tips to help you weather a power outage:
• Stay calm.
• Use a flashlight to see. Never use candles during a power outage or other emergency.
• Turn off or disconnect any appliances or electronic equipment that was in-use at the time the power went out.
• Leave one light switched on so you will know when power is restored.
• If you are cold, don’t light a fire indoors. Put on layers of warm clothing instead.
• Leave the doors of your refrigerator and freezer closed to keep the food as cool as possible.
Should you experience a power outage, be assured that LADWP crews will work around the clock to restore power as quickly and safely as possible.
Reporting a Power Outage
All your lights are out but neighboring homes are illuminated. The trouble may be in your main switch, circuit breakers or fuses. Before calling LADWP to report the outage, switch-off all lamps and appliances on the affected circuit and reset your circuit breakers. Open the circuit breaker panel and push the breaker switch to the extreme OFF position before resetting to the ON position. If your power is not restored, please call Customer Service at 1-800-DIAL DWP (1-800 342-5397) and be prepared to provide the customer service representative with the following information.
– Your location (Street Address or Cross Streets)
• A call-back phone number
• If all lights are out or just some of them
• If neighboring homes are also without power
• If you heard or saw any unusual events (loud noises, arcing or wires down)
– The entire neighborhood is without power
Call LADWP to report the outage. Once power has been restored to your area, you will receive a confirmation phone call to the telephone number you
Updated personal information, particularly an
accurate telephone number, is very important in
the outage notification process. You can confirm or
update your telephone number in any of these three
ways: 1) call (866) 481-0344; 2) visit any Customer
Service Center, or 3) update your account information
by logging-on to your account from LADWP’s
Customer Service web page.