|LOS ANGELES–LADWP crews continue working to restore power to customers affected by storm-related power outages. As of 3:30 p.m., crews have restored power to over 22,000 customers. Approximately 12,000 customers of LADWP’s 1.4 million electric customers remain without power. Crews will continue to work around the clock to restore power to all customers as quickly and safely as possible.
Los Feliz 3,819
Vermon Knolls 2,076
San Pedro 1,073
LADWP offers the following tips for electrical safety during a storm:
Downed Power Lines
- Never touch a downed or dangling wire or anyone or anything in contact with it. Always assume a downed line is still energized.
- Report any downed power lines immediately by calling the LADWP at 1-800-DIAL-DWP (1-800-342-5397). If you or someone else is in danger, call 911.
- Allow access for uniformed LADWP crews, all of whom carry Department-issued identification cards, so they may service infrastructure in need of repair.
- Don’t touch anyone in contact with a power source – you could be killed or seriously injured. Instead, turn off power at the control panel. Then call for help and tell them it’s an electrical injury.
- If a power line falls on your car, stay in the car and wait for help. If you must get out, make sure you do not touch the metal parts of the car and the ground at the same time. The safest method is to open the door, stand on the door sill and jump free without touching the car.
- Stay away from metal fences, such as a chain link fence – there may be a power line down and touching the fence somewhere beyond your sight.
- If there is damage to the connection from the power pole to your house, you should go to the electrical box and turn off the main switch or shut off the fuse switch. Again, always assume electric lines are live.
- In case of an electrical emergency, stay calm and think before you act. Don’t become a victim while trying to help others. Call 911.
If Your Power Goes Out
- Stay calm.
- Have a flashlight and extra batteries nearby. Don’t use candles in a power outage.
- Turn off lights but leave one light turned on so you will know when your service is restored.
- Turn off and unplug appliances and other electrical equipment. Unplug heat-producing items like irons and space heaters. This helps prevent circuit overloading, which could delay restoration of service.
- Call LADWP and report your outage at 1-800-DIAL DWP (1-800-342-5397).