How Much Water Can You Save?
Ways to Save Tips
1. Use only as much water on your lawn as you need to. Studies show that the average homeowner uses more than 4 times the actual amount of water needed to keep a lawn healthy and green – wasted water that runs off of property and into storm drains. Use the watering calculator and watering index found at www.bewaterwise.com to learn just how much you should water. Saves 750 to 1,500 gallons a month.
2. Fix leaky faucets, plumbing joints and your sprinkler system. Saves 20 gallons a day for every leak stopped.
3. Replace your showerhead with a new high efficiency showerhead; install water saving faucet aerators in your bathroom and kitchen. Free showerheads and aerators are available at any LADWP customer service center. To find a location near you, click here: Customer Service Centers
4. Install a new “smart” sprinkler controller that applies just the right amount of water for your landscape based on your plants and garden, and local weather conditions. In one study, these new controllers were shown to save 40 gallons per day.
5. Replace a portion of your lawn with beautiful native and California Friendly plants. Saves 1,000 to 1,800 gallons a month depending on your climate.
6. Replace your old washing machine with a new, high-efficiency model. Saves 20 to 30 gallons per load. Learn how you can receive a $250 rebate from the purchase of a new eligible high efficiency clothes washer by clicking here.
7. Run only full loads in the washing machine and dishwasher. Saves 300 to 800 gallons a month.
8. Use a broom instead of a hose to clean driveways and sidewalks. Saves 150 gallons or more each time.
9. Shorten your showers. Every minute of your shower uses 2.5 gallons of water. So, a one- or two-minute reduction can save up to 375 gallons per month.
10. Don’t water the sidewalks, driveway or gutter. Adjust your sprinklers so that water lands on your lawn or garden where it belongs–and only there. Saves 500 gallons a month.
11. Don’t use the toilet as a wastebasket. Saves up to 200 gallons a month.
• Check facility for leaks and repair immediately.
• Save water by participating in any of LADWP's Commercial Rebate Programs.
Rebates are available for:
Rebates are available for:
• High efficiency toilets
• High efficiency urinals
• Smart controllers
• Cooling tower pH controllers, and more.
• Encourage employees to conserve and to report water waste.
• Instruct landscape maintenance staff to reduce water use by repairing leaks, adjusting sprinkler heads to minimize overspray, adjust the sprinkler timer seasonally OR replace timer with a smart controller.
• Eliminate hosing-down of walkways and driveways.
• Retrofit restrooms with self-closing faucets.
• Install water saving faucet aerators in all restrooms. Call 1-800-544-4498 and press “0” for more information on the availability of FREE aerators for your business.
For additional commercial programs please go to the LADWP water conservation page.
For additional tips and conservation information, visit www.bewaterwise.com